Wednesday, January 11, 2006



Thirteen Things about YOUR NAME



1... Sherri-Lynn is my full first name.

2... That's 11 characters long and in grade one it sometimes took me 3 lines to put my name on the upper right hand corner of the picture I'd just coloured!

3... Friends have shortened my name to Sherri since back in highschool.

4... My mother has never liked this.

5... In grade one when the teacher shortened my name, I didn't realize she was talking to me, so I didn't respond (my mother is still proud of this...and tells the story whenever she can...!)

6... My maternal grandmother didn't want me to just be named Sherry because it could be associated with alcohol?!

7... While friends mostly call me Sherri to my face, they often refer to me as Sherri-Lynn when they are talking about me.

8... In elementary school some kids would tease me by calling me Miss Lynn when the teacher would have me help her with something.

9... My mother had thought about naming me Scarlet....thankfully she didn't! (Shannon-Louise was another runner up too! ...I'll stick Sherri, thank-you-very-much!)

10.. Cheri in french means 'sweetheart', 'darling' and 'dear'.

11.. Sherri (according to babynames.com) means 'beloved'.

12.. Lynn (again via babynames.com) means 'pretty one'.

13.. My middle name is Marie (...when I was a child I wanted THAT to be my first name).

Links to other Thursday Thirteens! (leave your link in comments, I’ll add you here!)

Ardice, Wendy, Running2K, Leanne, Marie, Joan, Uisce, Kelly, Karen, Janne, Colleen



Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!



14 comments:

Ardice said...

My Mom wanted to name me Wendy Sue. I'm glad my Dad talked her out of it. I've asked my daughters if they like their names and they like them so I guess I did alright in that area. They hate thier names shortened to a nickname though. My list is up. Have a wonderful Thursday. Take Care...

Sherri said...

My daughter, Amanda, is that way too...she doesn't like her name being shortened to Mandy for some reason (although she'll let me call her Dolly until my heart's content:)

Sherri said...

I'd say water is pretty meaningfull metaphorically...and I LOVE Irish names...my hubby and are are hoping to add to our family and both of the names we've picked so far have Irish orgins:)

Uisce said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Uisce said...

Who knew a name could be so meaningful! My name is the Irish word for "water" which essentially became the English word "whiskey". Oh, and my 13 are up!

Kelly said...

There is so much to a name huh?
I never have liked my name because I was bullied by a girl with the same name in the first grade!

Happy Thursday!
Mine are up.
Diary of the Nello

Karen said...

Sherri-Lynn, such a pretty name! Karen means annoying, at least this is what I've picked up from those close to me. *grin*

My TT is up.

Joan said...

Thanks for coming by my blog this morning, Sherri-Lynn. I enjoyed reading your 13. My only daughter is named Sharon Lyn -- a little of the same flow there. I enjoy thinking about the meaning of names.

Janne said...

My middle name is Lynn. :)

Sherri said...

Janne - for some reason I couldn't access your site from your link:(

Running2Ks said...

I'm calling you Marie Sherri-Lynn now :) It's nice to meet you!

Chickadee said...

It sounds like your name has made your childhood interesting! LOL.

My 13 are up.

Kimmy said...

Fun list. I really enjoyed reading it!

My 13 are up.
http://kimmyandjacob.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I found you thru Daddy's Roses, and I was reading your 13 things about yourself - just wanted to note that I'm Sherry-Lynn also, but it's Cherilyn. I've only ever known 1 other person with our name, so I had to stop & say hi!