Tuesday, May 24, 2005

A Toolgirl I'm Not...

When Les left for work early this morning, the garage door went up and down without any problem. I know, I watched as I waved good-bye to him from the front window before I headed back into the washroom to finish getting ready for work.

An hour or so later, I was ready for work, and I had Amanda ready for school, so we headed out into the garage, got into the car, backed out of the driveway and TRIED to close the garage door again, but it wouldn't close all the way. It would go 3/4 of the way down and then automatically reopen itself.

I got out of the car and tried the opener on the wall in the garage, same problem. Then I looked at the garage door and more specifically the metal thing-y that it rolls up and down on. It appeared to be bent (for lack of a better word), and this seemed to be causing the problem. I tried with all my might to un-bend it - to no avail.

Finally, I decided to leave it for a moment. I took Amanda to school then came back home. I simply couldn't leave the garage wide open all day. We may not have many treasures in there, but even lawn-mowers and well-used bikes are expensive to replace. So I called work and told them I'd be late. Then I called Les at work and asked for his advice. ("Why, oh why," I thought, "Don't these things happen for him. HE knows what to do....") ...or does he?...he suggested a hammer?!

So back out there, I went, with hammer in hand. It was no use though, I couldn't pound the rail straight. My heaviest of swings didn't budge it even. Then I got my latest *brilliant* idea....I'd use the other end (the one you pull nails out with) to pry the rail into place. It seemed to work. It's not perfectly straight, but I got it to work well enough to get myself to work. Maybe I am a 'toolgirl' afterall! (But I still want Les to look at it after work...HE'll know what to do:)

No comments: