Sunday, October 19, 2008

Cinema Saturday #2





This week's Cinema Saturday inspiration was Breakfast at Tiffany's! First of all, I need to say that I need to watch this movie again (and my hubby has agreed we should!:) I first saw this film when I was very young (well, not a child, but young), and so, many things were lost on me - like the 'mean red's'...but now I understand Holly Golightly so much better! As I didn't have time to re-watch it this weekend, I did watch a few snipets on youtube (someone has the full opening scene on there complete with Holly having breakfast at the window of Tiffany's, her meeting of Paul and explanation of the 'mean reds' - she totally explains the feeling of belonging by it's absense too! -- someone also has my favourite scene where she's in her window with a guitar playing 'Moon River' and Paul overhears:) ...(sigh....)

So for my card this week, I took inspiration from all the hats you wore in the movie (I kind of think when she went out she was often disguising who she really was because she didn't know how she fit and didn't feel she belonged...). And there's this great big black hat with a long pink ribbon that she wore in one scene that I tried to emmulate (as best as my supplies would allow) on my card.

Also, in keeping with her love of Tiffany's, the base of my card is Tiffany's signature colour. I also clear embossed the swirls on the black piece and I clear embossed over the hat piece and it's mounting piece - because it needed to be glossy, like a Tiffany's window. The pearls are a wink to the opening scene when Holly has that gorgeous pearl necklace on with THE dress. Of course THE dress was the inspiration for the black backdrop in my card.

I'm not totally happy with it, but I sure enjoyed making this week's project while singing 'Moon River':) Thanks Sankari & Brooke for another great inspiration!!

13 comments:

Stacey Schafer said...

the hat is perfect for this challenge, Sherri! love your interpretation of the cinema saturday creative challenge:)

Brooke S said...

Sherri,
Congrats on receiving the" Audrey" We are so excited that you are playing along with us. How fun to see "Audrey" displayed in on you blog...

I really love the card for "Breakfast at Tiffany's" The hat was a great inspiration... I really enjoyed getting inspiration from this movie... I am getting excited just typing about it.. I want to make another card this minute.. I totally agree with you on forgetting things I had seen or haven't things jump out that I just didn't catch the last time I watched this movie..

I so glad you came on over and played again.
Have a "Audrey"licious day.
Brooke

Ann said...

Ooooh, love this! The swirls, the hat, and the touch of pink are just perfect! :D

Amy, Ottawa, Canada said...

Oh my your hat card is Beautiful. I've seen that Audrey photo before & was blown away by your card mimicking it. TFS, Amy.

Sankari W. said...

LOVE your card Sherri!! I totally wanted to make a card with this exact picture also! and you did such an amazing job capturing it with your card! I love the background swirls and whirls - beautiful!
And you know the hat-rack itself kind of looks like an "A" for Audrey! The pearl embellishments in the corners are so sweet and i love the tiffany blue and pink colors that you tied into the card - you are totally inspiring me to go and make a another Breakfast at Tiffany's card!!!

Thank you so much for playing along this week - and I love what you said about some of the themes of the movie - i totally agree with you... when I watched it again - i just fell even more in love with Audrey...

Congrats on your Audrey! I can't tell you how much I love that Gratitude journal - not only is it beautiful - having something like that is such a beautiful way to appreciate all the blessings in our lives....

Thanks for coming over and playing along!!!!
Hope you are having a wonderful weekend!! Sending you vases full roses :)
Sankari :)

Deb Wood said...

This is absolutely Fabulous!! Love the hat and the colors. The swirls add the magic touch!!

Congrats on your award!

Catherine said...

Sherri, what a great card, i was thinking of making a hat card also but decided on a black dress instead. This is absolutely beautiful and congrats on your Audrey Award.. you so deserve it :)

Becky said...

How sweet! I love it!

Ophthalmologist said...

Oh, I love this hat! It is just PERFECT for Audrey! Congrats to your Audrey award, you totally deserve it!

zukesgirl said...

WOW!
so pretty

Tanya said...

This is really great! Seriously, I am going to try these! LOL!

chloe said...

This is beautiful! So perfect for the challenge!!

LeAnne said...

Very cool--I was just looking at Brooke & Sankari's cards too! I love your take on the movie.
LeAnne