Monday, April 18, 2005

I'm Addicted!

...well addicted might be a bit strong, but my latest favourite breakfast food is a fruit smoothie. Back when I was single I used to make a version of these with extra protein powder after workouts, but then I got married, became a mom and I never seemed to have the extra time to whip this up for myself. Here's what I'm sipping this morning:

1 cup frozen strawberries
1/2 a banana
1 cup plain, low fat yogurt (no sugar)
1 cup skim milk
few drops of stevia (natural sweetner, liquid form)

It's so thick it's like a milk shake, and it tastes so good it is hard to believe it is good for you.

...speaking of good for you, this weekend I experimented making cream pies as we had my in-laws over to celebrate my mother in law's birthday. I had cooked a Greek feast that we all enjoyed, and then a couple of hours later we had banana cream pie. I used Robin McGraw's recipe and tweaked it to our liking. You use Banana Nut Crunch Cereal for the crust (with just a touch of marg). Then you make a double batch of sugar free vanilla pudding, but half the milk and put in 2 tablespoons of skim milk powder...boy, that makes it thick. It ends up being a really balanced and fairly good for you dessert. Last night we tried it once more, but this time, chocolate cream...same principles (except we used Special K for the crust) and mmmm it was good!

No comments: