Saturday, April 02, 2005

Liberation

I am still being struck by my devotion from a couple of days ago...

The crucified Christ reminds us that despair and disillusionment are not terminal but signs of impending resurrection. What lives beyond the cross is the liberation power of love, freeing us from the ego centeredness that says, "All I am is what I think I am and nothing more." One Good Friday morning...as I (Brennan Manning, from 'Reflections for Ragamuffins') prayed in faith I heard him say, "Little brother, I witnessed a Peter who claimed that he did not know me, a James who wanted power in return for service, a Philip who failed to see the Father in me, and scores of disciples who were convinced I was finished on Calvary. The New Testament has many examples of men and women who started out well and then faltered along the way.

"Yet on Easter Day I appeared to Peter; James is not remembered for his ambition but for the sacrifice of his life for the kingdom; Philip did see the Father in me when I pointed the way; and the disciples who despaired had enough courage to recognize me as the stranger who walked the road to Emmaus. My point, little brother, is this: I expect more failure from you that you expect form yourself."

"May the LORD answer you when you are in distress; may the name of the God
of Jacob protect you."
Psalm 20:1

No comments: