Saturday, February 18, 2006

Nowhere

"God utters me like a word containing a partial thought of himself. A word will never be able to comprehend the voice that utters it. But if I am true to the concept God utters in me, if I am true to the thought in him I was meant to embody, I shall be full of his actuality and find him everywhere in myself, and find myself nowhere. I shall be lost in him."
Thomas Merton in Seeds of Contemplation

Speaking of "nowhere"...have you ever noticed that if you combine the words 'now' and 'here' you get 'nowhere'? Brennan Manning writes that "To be fully present to whoever or whatever is immediately before us is to pitch a tent in the wilderness of Nowhere. It is an act of radical trust -- trust that God can be encountered at no other time and in no other place than in the present moment. Being fully present in the now is perhaps the premier skill of the spiritual life."

No comments: