Monday, September 20, 2004

Drum roll please.....

I just learned that the release date for
Carolyn Arends' new album, "Under the Gaze" is....TOMORROW! If you follow the links above to her site, there are lyrics and song-bytes from it.


I've been feeling a little bit Fragile lately...

...you know, easily moved to tears, needing a little extra care...and as I sampled Carolyn's new album on my tea-break this morning, the words to the song 'Fragile' really spoke to my heart. Here are her thoughts about writing the song along with the lyrics:

"I was once chatting with a group of good friends from my church about a mutual friend who was absent, and – to the best of our knowledge – had been struggling of late. "I think," one of my friends confided, "she’s always been a little fragile." We all nodded knowingly.

However much we loved our absent friend, in all truthfulness we didn’t label her "fragile" as a complement. It was a nice way of saying something along the lines of "emotional" or "weak". But I got to thinking later about how much we fight our weakness, and how much that fight flies in the face of the Apostle Paul’s promise that it is in our very weakness that God is strong. Leonard Cohen once said "There are cracks, cracks in everything – that’s how the light gets in." So why do we spend so much time trying to cover over the cracks?

I’ve come to think of my fragile friend (actually, I’ve got several, and one of them lives in my own skin) more like fine china – rare, valuable, easily broken and therefore deserving of respect and the utmost care."
(Fine china, eh? ...hopefully I'm a teacup with pink roses! ...SB)
Fragile
Carolyn Arends

Life would be easier in thicker skin
Yours is thin
Porcelain
It would be better if you wouldn’t cry
All your friends
They wonder why

You’re fragile, easily broken
You’re fragile, already scarred
You’re fragile, but haven’t you noticed
All the most precious things are

Well if the eyes are windows to the soul
Yours is blue
And beautiful
You just don’t have the knack for building walls
Whatever comes
You feel it all

You’re fragile, easily broken…

I’ve heard it said there’s got to be a crack or two
For the light to get through
It seems to me that you are meant to be the kind
Who shines

You’re always trying to find an even keel
Somewhere safe
And not so real
But you were made to live the lows and highs
A winter rose
A butterfly

You’re fragile, easily broken…


C 2004 Songs of Peer, Ltd / Mr. Marley's Music (ASCAP)

No comments: