Tuesday, September 28, 2004


Extreme Home Makeover

Last night after we put our Dolly to bed, Les & I watched the fall premier of Extreme Home Makeover, which we taped the other night. It was a very touching episode...the Woffards, a Christian family with eight kids that was hit with the most horrible tragedy four years ago. I think I spent most of the show in tears. This family truly deserved a new home, and what the show did was wonderful, but what I was most touched by was how the community pulled together and made it happen, how their very own Church pulled together on this was inspirational! The contractor (a guy from their own Church who had never even built a house before) was amazing, and there were people like teachers from the Church up on the roof joyfully pounding nails. The girls basketball team even came and pitched in! I've seen a few other episodes of this show, and I have never seen them complete construction a day ahead of time, but they did this time (a whole 2 story house in less than 7 days!) The 'design team' from the show kept commenting as well how they felt something else at work here. No doubt that was God and His people:)

...and I've been thinking about that ever since. You see, our Church is pursuing a new building project, and without getting into opinions on it (the size and design of the building, the cost, the financing etc.), I'll just say that it hasn't exactly been smooth sailing. I don't think it would be appropriate to go into detail here, but after watching that show, I couldn't help but think that if this building is God's will, that if our community, our Church (which is the people who make it up) were to get behind this the way the Woffard's did, well that it too would be amazing. I was deeply touched by the picture I saw of what Church really is on that program!

No comments: