Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Grace and Ice Cream

Last night at small group I heard grace be described a different way, and I liked the illustration used. It went something like this...

If your friend punches you in the face and you decide not to retaliate...that's MERCY.

If your friend punches you in the face and you decide not to retaliate and you tell him that it won't affect your friendship...that's FORGIVENESS.

If your friend punches you in the face and you decide not to retailiate and you tell him that it won't affect your friendship AND you buy him an ice cream cone...that's GRACE.

4 comments:

...jus me said...

Oh I like this...I think I have to take it to our small group! What is your group studying? We are following the pulpit as does our sunday school classes as well. We have been doing an overview of the Old Testament. It has been very enlightening!

Sherri said...

We've just started looking at Philipians using a guide called 'A Life Worth Living'.

Anonymous said...

That's really beautiful. Wendy directed me here today.

Carmen said...

That's a pretty good way of describing it. I wonder what it is if you hit them back? ;) Not the right thing, I know. As Joyce Meyers would say "get back in the spirit, get back in the spirit"