Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Beautiful

...that's a tough word for me somedays...one I struggle with wanting to apply to me somedays, and yet, one I have trouble accepting being applied to me at all. In a worldly sense, it can be a troublesome word.


When we were at Breakforth this year, we got the chance to worship with and learn from Tim Hughes, who wrote the worship song "Beautiful One". Now, God and the word beautiful go together perfectly...and yet it's such a different use of the word 'beautiful' than the world lifts up...well, the same AND different, both.

Tim is from London and has this most excellent English accent, so when he pronounces 'beautiful', it stands out to me... most folks around here pronounce it 'bEUdiful'...but Tim sings out 'bEUTiful one'...and my soul was touched by his devotion on that song today...


Beautiful One
by Tim Hughes

The first moment of inspiration for the song Beautiful One came whilst I was reading through some passages in Isaiah. A verse in Isaiah 53:2 particularly jumped out at me:


“He had no beauty or majesty to attract us to him, nothing in his appearance that we should desire him.”

These prophetic verses about Jesus are amazing - to think that the all-powerful and glorious Son of God would make Himself nothing and walk upon the earth as an ordinary human being. Jesus had no exceptional human features that would make Him stand out as someone special, as someone of worth. However for those who call Jesus, Savior, for those whose eyes have seen, we know just how beautiful Jesus truly is. When our eyes have been opened, our hearts will be captivated and no earthly beauty or pleasure will ever compare.

“You opened my eyes to your wonders anew
You captured my heart with this love
Because nothing on earth is as beautiful as you”

It’s a wonderful truth to know that until we meet God in heaven face to face, there will always be more of Him to discover. There will be more of His beauty, His majesty, His mercy and His power to drink in. Whilst we live on this earth we will never fully understand all that God has in store for us. Read these words in 1 Corinthians 2:9,

“No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived what God has prepared for those who love Him.”

We see in part. We catch glimpses; but until we stand face to face before the Lord we will never fully understand just how glorious and beautiful He is. Our small human minds have no way of ever comprehending how incredible that moment will be. The greatest experience we could have on the face of the earth will pale in comparison to that awesome day. We will tremble before His greatness. We will be overwhelmed by His glory. We will be transfixed by His beauty. Forever and a day our souls will sing ‘Beautiful One.’

“My Soul my soul must sing
My Soul my soul must sing
My Soul my soul must sing
Beautiful One”



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A little thought of mine, as I read your post....this I hope resonates with you....
BEAUTIFUL...BE AUT I FUL> be at I full. A little disjointed but, if one looks at the word beautiful .."be at full" comes to mind. Full of His Spirit, full of His love and let that radiate from you.
Which it does. So maybe it's a nice way to look at all God's children as being beautiful.
Just one of my thoughts....