Monday, March 06, 2006

A Tribute to June Carter Cash

So we watched some of the Oscars last night, and I was pleased when Reese Witherspoon won for best actress (if you haven't seen Walk the Line, I'd strongly recommend it). In her acceptance speech, Reese paid tribute to June Carter Cash by saying, she was “a real woman who has dignity and honor and fear and courage...People used to ask June how she was doing, and she would say, 'I'm just trying to matter'. I know what she means." -- I know what she means too!

Since seeing the movie at New Year's, I've done a little bit of research into June's life and I just really admire that woman...and many of the things she's been quoted as saying ring true with me (like the quote about mattering above). I've read that her step-daughter Roseanne Cash once said that "if marriage were a corporation, then June would be the CEO." I guess that's the biggest thing that sticks out to me about June is about how she lived out her love of her husband. Here are a few more quotes from June:

I chose to be Mrs. Johnny Cash in my life. I decided I'd allow him to be
Moses and I'd be Moses' brother Aaron, picking his arms up and padding along
behind him.

I stayed in submission to my husband, and he allowed me to do anything I
wanted to. I felt like I was lucky to have that kind of romance.

I was never looking back in regret. I never thought, Oh, why didn't I
become an actress? or Why did I just go paddling along after John? I've always
walked along right by his side, and he's always supported everything I do.

I worked with John, but I had enough sense to walk just a little ways
behind him. I could have made more records, but I wanted to have a marriage.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've always admired June Carter Cash too. Sherri, I hope you're having a good Monday. Take Care...