Friday, March 05, 2004

The song he didn't sing :(

As I mentioned, the Steve Bell concert was great last night, except, of course, that he didn't sing my favourite song of his.


Here by the Water
Music and Lyric by Jim Croegaert
© 1986 Rough Stones Music

Soft field of clover
Moon shining over the valley
Joining the song of the river
To the great giver of the great good

As it enfolds me
Somehow it holds me together
I realize I’ve been singing
Still it comes ringing
Clearer than clear

And here by the water
I’ll build an altar to praise Him
Out of the stones that I’ve found here
I’ll set them down here
Rough as they are
Knowing You can make them holy
Knowing You can make them holy
Knowing You can make them holy

I think how a yearning
Has kept on returning to move me
Down roads I’d never have chosen
Half the time frozen
Too numb to feel
I know it was stormy
I hope it was for me learning
Blood on the road wasn’t mine though
Someone that I know
Has walked here before


This song became significant for me a few years ago at a leadership retreat. We used it in worship as we each layed a rough stone down building our own altar. As we layed the stone down we were to let go of something into God's hands. One of the things I let go of was my anxiousness for God to bring His man into my life...just a month earlier I had prayed (like the Shunammite woman with Elisha in 2Kings4) that I was not letting God go on this desire He'd given me until He blessed me in it...that night I didn't let go of that desire either, but I did lay down my angst and my own efforts on the matter...six months later, God's man for me walked into my life...the following November we were married...and that is about a year and a half ago now! When we were still dating, I took my (now) husband to the church I attended one night after a date and we knelt together and prayed at the altar. Afterward we played this song......oh, what God can make holy:)

No comments: