Wednesday, March 17, 2004

Kiss Me, I'm Irish!

...I am, you know?!...by marriage. On my Father's side of the family, we are Austrian. On my Mother's side, we are English and Scottish. On Les' Father's side, we are Irish, and on Les' Mother's side we are Russian. What a rich heritage we have! Here is our family crest:

The name Brophy in Ireland is derived from the native Gaelic O'Broithe Sept that was located in the Province of Leinster and in Counties Carlow and Kilkenny especially. It is in these Counties that the majority of descendants bearing the name can today still be found.

Les and I both have an affinity for Ireland and hope to someday visit there. When Les first came to Saskatoon, it was summer and very green, and he dubbed it 'little Ireland'! When you drive along the Circle Drive Bridge eastbound, the river banks in the summer do look Irish. From his first trip to Saskatoon on, Les always said that being in Saskatoon felt like coming home:)

No comments: